Perfect for breakfast or afternoon tea, these tasty snacks are complimented with the fruity flavour of strawberry jam for the perfect combination of sweet and savoury.
Makes: 12 scones
3 ½ cups (875 mL) Five Roses® All Purpose Flour
1 cup (250 mL) sugar
2 tbsp (30 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
1 cup (250 mL) Crisco® All Vegetable Shortening, cold, cut into small pieces
1 cup (250 mL) plus 1 tbsp (15mL) cold Carnation® Fat Free Evaporated Skim Milk
1 jar (250 mL) Smucker’s® Pure Strawberry Jam
1 cup (250 mL) icing sugar
2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- Preheat oven to 450º F (220º C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scones:
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk and eggs. Add to flour mixture. Gather together into a ball and knead everything gently together. Do not over mix.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat dough out until it is approximately ¾” (2 cm) thick. Cut into 2” (5 cm) rounds. Gather up scraps and repeat with remaining dough.
- Place on prepared baking sheet. Press centres down gently with a tablespoon to make a depressed area to hold the jam. Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) jam into centres.
- Bake in preheated oven, 16 minutes, until lightly golden. Glaze:
- In a small bowl, combine icing sugar and water. Drizzle over scones when they come out of the oven and then again 10 minutes later.
- Dip spoon into flour to prevent it from sticking when pressing into dough.
- For pastry recipes, ingredients should be refrigerated the night before. This will keep it nice and light. For a more dense party, maintain ingredients at room temperature.
- Compliments these scones with a mug of Folgers® Classic Roast for the finishing touch to your breakfast or your afternoon snack.
|1 Scone (5 oz)|