Light & Fluffy Rolls
These rolls are so light a fluffy they might float right off the dinner table—if you don’t eat them all first!
Makes: 20 rolls
Fleischmann’s® Quick-Rise Yeast (2 ¼ tsp/11 mL each)
½ cup (125 mL) warm water (110° F-115° F/45° C-56° C)
1 tbsp (15 mL) sugar
½ cup (125 mL) warm Carnation® Fat Free Evaporated Milk (110° F–115° F/45° C–56° C)
⅓ cup (75 mL) Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
2 tsp (10 mL) salt
3 ½–4 cups (875 mL–1 L) Five Roses® All Purpose Flour, divided
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water and sugar. Let stand for 10 minutes until doubled in size. Add evaporated milk, shortening, eggs, salt and 3 cups (750 mL) flour.
- Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in just enough flour to form a soft dough. Mixture will be sticky. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Grease 20 muffin cups. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 20 portions about 2 oz (56 g) each. Divide each portion in half and shape into balls. Place 2 balls side by side in each muffin cup.
- Lightly cover with plastic wrap or a dish towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C). Bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pan onto wire racks. Variations:
- Mix in 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh rosemary and 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped garlic when making the dough.
- Add 1 cup (250 mL) sharp cheddar cheese when making the dough.
- Brush tops of rolls with beaten egg. Sprinkle pumpkin and sunflower seeds on dough in muffin cups (any kinds of seeds will work).
- Dough can be braided or twisted.
|1 Roll (1.6 oz)|