Alpine Chocolate Shortbread
Makes: about 3 dozen cookies
½ cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
2 cups (500 mL) Five Roses® All Purpose Flour
2 tbsp (30 mL) corn starch
8 oz (250 g) Toblerone™ chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC).
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light. Stir in flour and corn starch. Mix well then knead dough with hands to blend in the last of the flour thoroughly and form smooth dough.
- Reserve 36 pieces of chocolate. Mix remaining pieces into the dough.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls (15 mL) onto ungreased cookie sheets. Press chunk of reserved chocolate in centre of each.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until just starting to brown around edges. Cool 5 minutes on sheet, then transfer to rack and cool completely.
- Add ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped nuts to dough instead of chocolate.
- Shortbread is best stored in a cool place or refrigerator for up to one month.
- Always use butter for shortbread; margarine just won't do! Corn starch gives shortbread that very 'short' texture.