Banana Cake With Cream Cheese Icing
Makes: 12 servings
2 cups (500 mL) Five Roses® All Purpose Flour
1½ tsp (7 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
1½ cups (375 mL) sugar
½ cup (125 mL) butter or margarine
½ cup (125 mL) buttermilk or sour milk, divided
1 cup (250 mL) ripe banana, mashed
1 tsp (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
2 pkgs (250 g each) cream cheese, softened
¼ cup (50 mL) butter or margarine
2 cups (500 mL) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease two 9" (23 cm) round cake pans.
- Cake: In a large mixer bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add sugar, butter, ¼ cup buttermilk and banana. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, vanilla and ¼ cup buttermilk. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Spread batter evenly in two greased round cake pans.
- Bake at 350ºF (180ºC) for 30 - 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together on medium speed of electric mixer. Add icing sugar, beating until smooth.
- Fill and Frost cake layers.