Makes: 12 servings
1¼ cups (300 mL) water, boiling
1 cup (250 mL) Robin Hood® Oats
1⅔ cups (400 mL) Five Roses® All Purpose Flour
1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
½ tsp (2 mL) baking powder
½ tsp (2 mL) salt
1 tsp (5 mL) cinnamon
½ cup (125 mL) butter, softened
1 cup (250 mL) sugar
1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar, packed
¼ cup (50 mL) butter
½ cup (125 mL) brown sugar, packed
2 tbsp (30 mL) milk or cream
¾ cup (175 mL) flaked coconut
½ cup (125 mL) nuts, chopped
- Pour boiling water over oats; set aside.
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Cream butter, gradually add sugars, blending until mixture is crumbly.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until light and fluffy. (mixture will look curdled).
- Stir in oats and flour mixture. Blend thoroughly.
- Spread batter into a greased 9" (2.5 L) square cake pan.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. DO NOT REMOVE FROM PAN. TOPPING
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in remaining ingredients. Spread evenly on hot cake.
- Broil 6" (15 cm) below element for 2-3 minutes or until bubbly and golden.